12/22/2008

Burgers


Los Angeles has some of the greatest burgers! In the quest to find a great gourmet burger I checked out a few resto hot spots. Here are my results:

Whole in the Wall Burger Joint- WITWBJ's beef burger wins the best burger award in my book. A well-seasoned, 8 oz. meaty burger served on a pretzel roll (you gotta try the pretzel roll) is the way to go. The house-made zucchini pickles are tasty, and I don't even like pickles . The casual, whole in the wall decor is in sharp contrast to the first rate gourmet burgers. Located in an obscure location behind Winchell's Donuts, it is worth a visit.


8 OZ.- Walking to the resto on Melrose I saw Chef Govind in his vintage convertible zooming off somewhere, a true LA moment. The space has a great vibe, casual atmosphere and good music. The beef burgers are decent, yet not better than other burgers I've had. I didn't like the Estancia Grass Fed Burger, but I don't think I like grass fed beef in general. The Sarsaparilla Float and Chocolate Malt were wonderful.



Father's Office, Culver City- This is a neighborhood gem considering the location. I liked the burger served on a roll, liked not loved. A burger and a beer are a great combo and FO has a large beer selection. Wassup with the no ketchup rule? Really, there is no ketchup in the whole restaurant, a mistake. When I ordered bacon with my burger there was bacon in it, just not traditional pieces... odd.


The Hall at Palihouse- The lamb burger with spicy aioli and rosemary fries really surprised me, in a tasty way. I'd never tried a lamb burger before and am glad I did. Love the urban vibe and other food there, especially the Orange Chocolate Frozen Souffle- yum!



The Village Idiot- You can't go wrong with their big, juicy burger and fries. TVI has a great, casual vibe, perfect for a Sunday afternoon, or just about any day. I remember the music being a little on the loud side.

Whole in the Wall Burger Joint
11058 Santa Monica Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90025
(310) 312-7013

Hole in the Wall Burger Joint on Urbanspoon


8 OZ.
7661 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 782-0008

Hole in the Wall Burger Joint on Urbanspoon

Father's Office
3229 Helms Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90034
(310) 736-2224

Father's Office on Urbanspoon

The Hall at Palihouse
8465 Holloway Dr
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(323) 656-4020

Hall on Urbanspoon

The Village Idiot
7383 Melrose Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90046
(323) 655-3331

Village Idiot on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hm.. no Bar Marmont? No Hungry Cat? No Bowery? No 25 Deg?

Alli & Win said...

Good point Tony. It has been awhile since I've had the burgers at BM and HC. I'll have to try the burgers at Bowery and No 25 Deg. Have you tried the Hole in the Wall burger?