2/12/2009

Sophisticated Dining : Gordon Ramsay at the London


Dinner at Gordon Ramsay at the London felt like a true European dining experience. It reminded me of many high end restaurants in England and France. The service was impeccable. It didn't feel like actors were our waiters (no offense to actors), they had a professionalism that is often lacking in many restaurants in Los Angeles. It was all about the customers, their experience and the food. It was simply refreshing.

The amuse bouche and the dessert were my favorites of the meal, a perfect start and ending. The Steamed Bamboo and Shitake Mushroom Chawanmushi was a rich custard that woke my taste buds up as if to say "you're in good hands". I savored it and interspersed it with bites of bacon bread (yes fresh bacon bits in the bread).

Next I had the Confit Beet Salad with Ricotta Cheese and Beetroot Dressing, Crispy Endive. Purple, orange and yellow beets were displayed amongst endive and cheese. The sheer beauty of this dish amazed me. It looked as if an artist had arranged the food. I'm sorry that my photos of the food were too dark to post.

It was Dine LA Week but I had a hankering for the Whole Butter Poached Maine Lobster, Glazed Autumn Vegetables, Lobster Sauce which was on the main menu, not the DineLA one. Again the appearance was beautiful, this time it surpassed the taste. I suppose when I saw Maine lobster on the menu I thought of eating lobster from those wonderful shacks in Maine. The elegant little pieces of lobster just didn't satisfy.

I quickly forgot about the previous dish when I tasted the Myer Lemon Pudding Cake with Confit Blueberries, Tarragon and Buttermilk Sorbet. It was an elegant, delicate dessert, each component separately was lovely on it's own. And when I took a little bit of everything on the dish together it tasted like lemon, blueberry cheesecake, unexpected and fun.

We paid for the check and waited a little while to get the change. When we brought to our waiters attention that we were still waiting, he apologized then brought the change back. I replied something like "no problem" and to that he said "no, this is unacceptable", a nice touch to see that he cared so much.

This is a great place for a special occasions and for groups. I eyed a wonderful private room in front with a huge circular table. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Tips:

1. Ordering tap water instead of bottled water will save you serious $$. We were shocked that each bottle of water was a colossal $12 each, uh-huh!

2. The portions here are not big enough for sharing.

3. This is a great spot for afternoon tea.

Found this article useful? Mention Alli411 in your post, subscribe to our feed, link to us, or bookmark this site. Thanks for your support!

Gordon Ramsay at the London
1020 N San Vicente Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 358-7788

Gordon Ramsay at the London on Urbanspoon

No comments: