11/29/2008

My Kitchen in The Kitchn




My kitchen and some of my recipes are featured at one of my favorite websites Apartment Therapy's The Kitchn. They have tons of great ideas, products and recipes. And their photos are just fabby! Check them out.

A few peeks from the spread: The above photo shows a fun way I store fruit, something different and decorative. Below is my turkey breast recipe. I make one weekly so there is plenty of turkey for sandwiches throughout the week. I often get the response "Every week?" It is not really that big of a deal. It is easy to make and so much better than processed deli meat. I'll be including some great recipes here in the future.
Alli411 Roast Turkey
serves 10-12
Ingredients
1 (5 pound) turkey breast, bone in
1/3 cup kosher salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 brown onion, thinly sliced in 1/4 inch slices or 3 large shallots
2 cups chicken broth
Method
1. Prepare the brine by filling a large stock pot half-way full with cold water. (I use the slow cooker insert) Add 1/3 cup of Kosher salt and dissolve it in water. Add the turkey breast to the brine, breast down. The water should cover the turkey. If not, add some more water. Put a cover on the pot and let it sit on the counter for 1-3 hours to brine. This tenderizes the meat.
2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Remove the turkey breast from brine and dry it off. Set the turkey breast on a roasting rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Rub garlic on the front and back of the turkey breast, and under the skin, leaving a little in the cavity.
3. In a small bowl mix the sea salt, celery salt, paprika and ground pepper. Sprinkle the mixture on both sides of turkey breast and under skin. Place the onion slices on top of turkey breast. Add the chicken broth to the bottom of the roasting pan.
4. Place turkey in the oven roast for 20 minutes at 450.  After 20 minutes reduce heat to 325 degrees. Roast for 1 hour at 325 degrees. Then increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees and insert oven-safe, meat thermometer. Roast until internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
5. Let turkey rest at least 10 minutes before carving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking at your blog for a while, which has been lovely, but the photos of your kitchen quite intimidate me! Still, I'd like to try some of your recipes myself -- do you have a full recipe site or a book?

Anonymous said...

Your recommendations have been great so far - especially the Tapas place -
but this interview is really informative. Any place I can get more of your own recipes for those nights in?

Alli & Win said...

Stay tuned for more recipes on the site. Also, email me at yum@alli411.com and I'll send you a few.