12/10/2008

Bokx 109


Hidden away in the basement in a small hotel in Newton, I discovered this place purely by accident one night last week when I stayed overnight at the Indigo Hotel.

The wood paneled steakhouse specializes in beef. I wasn't in the mood for meat. Instead I had creamy mac n' cheese as an appetizer then the Scottish salmon to follow. Both were good. The mac n' cheese was a little too rich for my taste, that didn't stop me from eating it though. The salmon was cooked perfectly, a pleasant surprise. My favorite things at this restaurant weren't on the menu, but served gratis to every table.

Cotton candy was a prelude to dessert. They have different flavors daily. The cherry flavor I ate tasted oddly of Sucrets (the cough drops). Eating it stirred up childhood memories of county fairs and sore throats.

My favorite treat came in the bread basket: sweet, crisp crackers unlike any others I've ever had. They are made from a raisin nut log (with cranberries and walnuts) from Iggy's Bread of the World in Cambridge, a well known baker, similar in quality and popularity to La Brea Bakery in Los Angeles. The crackers were so good I asked for the recipe and scored a few of them for the road. I've included the recipe below for those of you who want to make them at home. These crackers go well with cheese.

Sweet Crackers

Ingredients:

1 loaf of high quality bread with cranberries, raisins and nuts (or any loaf you like)
Good quality olive oil
Organic sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Slice bread in 1/4 inch slices. If you can, have the bakery slice them on a machine, using the #2 width.

3. Lay the bread slices on a baking sheet covered with a Silpat non-stick, baking mat or parchment paper.

4. With a spray bottle, spritz the slices with olive oil, covering them lightly.

5. Then take a hand full of sugar and sprinkle sugar loosely over bread.

6. Bake for 5 minutes at 350 degrees. Crackers can last approximately 1 week in an airtight container. Make sure they are cool before storing.

Bokx 109
399 Grove St
Newton, MA 02462
617. 454. 3399

Bokx 109 on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think they spell it BOKX 109? My husband and I have eaten there 4 times and we found it by sheer accident!There are no signs anywhere on the hotel. My husband kept seeing it on the news and finally called because we thought we were confused. Fantastic food! Best wine list other than Grill 23. We were invited to eat at chef cooking table last week. My god was it great! Very neat bar design too. FoodFan