10/12/2008

Japanese Purple Yams

I was pleasantly surprised to find a farmer selling Japanese purple yams today at the West Hollywood Farmers Market. Also known as Okinawan yams, I first discovered them a couple years back at JAR on Beverly Blvd. They serve them like baked potatoes, with crème fraîche and chives. At the time I became enamored with them, surprised at their sweetness. I asked Chef Preech where I could get them and he told me that West side markets did not carry them, I'd have to go East. My husband and I finally found them at the Hawaii Supermarket on East Valley Blvd. in San Gabriel. Now we no longer have to travel far; we can get them locally at our West Hollywood Farmer's Market. If you haven't checked out this little farmer's market, I highly recommend it. It has a small town feel with great produce and vendors.

2 comments:

Christine.Joyce said...

I just had this for the first time at Jar last night! SO GOOD!! I want to make them myself now.

Alli & Win said...

Christine: They are so easy to prepare and delish. YUM! -- Alli