4/15/2009

Go Green at Tender Greens on Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood


Tender Greens on the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and Hancock Ave. is a welcome addition to West Hollywood. It's a pretty simple concept: a friendly, neighborhood restaurant serving fresh, healthy (organic when possible) food at reasonable prices in a casual environment. I'd been wanting to go to the Culver City location for awhile, ever since James at Jamaica's Cakes raved about it. I just never seemed to get over there. Lucky for me Tender Greens is now in my neighborhood.

Open a month now, I've been twice thus far. You line up as you enter where you see a huge menu covering the wall. There's a person there who takes your order. You then make your way down the l-o-n-g counter, watching your food being prepared as you mosey along. At the end you pay and pick up your tray, food and beverage (wine and beer are available).


The menu has Simple Salads ($5.50), Big Salads ($10.50), Hot Stuff: a plate with a protein, mashed potatoes and a small salad or a sandwich with a small salad ($10.50), Soups ($4) and Sweet Stuff.

Both times I've been there I've had tasty Big Salads, good sized for one person but not enough for 2 people to share. The Tuna Nicoise was better than the other (a salad of the day with pork and roast potatoes). I was impressed with the lovely, well-seasoned greens with dill and chives. Most of the veggies come in fresh daily from Scarborough Farms in Oxnard and other local farms. Meats are hormone free, chickens are cage free, fish is wild. They bake their own bread and make their own desserts. On top of that, oils, vinegars, cheeses and spices are high quality, which makes a difference in the taste.

Tender Greens, like the name implies, is about the greens, top quality. Besides the greens, I haven't had anything yet that was over-the-top amazing. Yet many people rave about the place so I'll keep trying other things. All in all, it's a great neighborhood restaurant where I know I'll get a satistfying meal that's good for me.

Found this article useful? Mention Alli411 in your post, subscribe to our feed, link to us, or bookmark this site. Thanks for your support!

Tender Greens
8759 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 358-1919

Tender Greens on Urbanspoon

No comments: